Saturday, April 17, 2010

The Things of This Earth

Today, my hubby and I stopped at an estate sale. I've never been to one before, at least one that I can remember, and it seemed like something fun to do on a rainy Saturday afternoon. So, we parked along with all the other cars on the street and walked up to the house.

It was a nice, big, older home. One you could imagine an couple growing old, raising children, keeping grandchildren, and hosting family gatherings in. My guess was that the elderly husband had died a while back, and that the wife had passed away recently.

As we walked from room to room, it suddenly hit me how sad it was, though. Here was someone's home, where thousands of memories had been made, and it was now being sold, lock, stock and barrel, to the highest bidder.

Where was their family, I wondered, as I browsed the beautiful crystal, holiday platters, and silverware. Why wouldn't their children or grandchildren what these things?

Perhaps they had already gone through it all and picked out what they wanted to keep. Or maybe this couples died alone, with no family to pass their belongings on to.

It made me realize how fleeting all those things in my own house are. Certainly, they are nice when you're alive to enjoy them, and some things can go a long way in making great, beautiful memories. But, really, how much of the stuff in my house would future children and grandchildren really want?

I wasn't cured of buying things - I bought a set of bunt pans, a jello mold (those things are near impossible to find these days), and a Thanksgiving decoration. But, it did slightly sober my day and make me want to enjoy everything and everyone in my life a little more than normal.

"Heaven and earth will disappear, but my words will never disappear." Matthew 24:35

No comments:

Post a Comment