Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Don't You Love The Fall?

"It makes me wanna buy school supplies. I would send you a bouquet of newly sharpened pencils if I knew your name and address."

That is one of my favorite lines from one of my favorite movies - "You've Got Mail." And, it perfectly describes how I've been feeling lately. The cooler weather has put me in the mood for pumpkins, fall candle scents, and sweaters. Every time I go to Hobby Lobby I can hardly stop myself from buying some sort of fall decoration, and I'm counting the days until I can decorate my house with all my autumn accent pieces. I'm convinced that I will hold out until after Labor Day, but it's getting harder. Technically, I've already started decorating because I put a pumpkin sign in my front yard and a fall wreath on my front door. But, I will wait on everything else. I will. I will. I will!

I'm not sure why I love the fall, except, perhaps, because of it's ties to school. For someone who loved school, fall meant new clothes, new school supplies, and a new schedule. It also meant new books and new opportunities. I was always so excited to hear from teachers, tutors, or my mom what new things we would be learning. Even in college, I loved combing through my syllabus and marking all the important deadlines and dates in my day planner. I'm such an academic nerd, I know, but I do love that about myself.

And, I look forward to the day when I have children that I can teach at home and pass on my love of learning to. Sadly, I already have shelves of textbooks, workbooks, and reading books for all ages...and we don't even had a little one in the oven yet. Oh, and not to mention my plans for our school room - complete with a dry erase board, bulletin board, and decorations from the local teacher supplies store. Yes, I do think of it often and joyfully play through those school days in my mind.

Oh, I hope the real cool weather comes soon. But, until then, I think I'll go find some pencils to sharpen...


No comments:

Post a Comment